tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 08 16:31:25 2004

Re: joj usage...

ja' De'vID:
>Should it be <chaH joj> or <jojchaj>?  I seem to recall that
>this was an area subject to dialectical variation but I
>forget which way is <ta' Hol>.

In the standard dialect, {chaH joj} is preferred.

Excerpted from Skybox card S9, {qaSDI' nenghep} "Age of Ascension":
>poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'. chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'.

I think this is the first known usage of a pronoun followed by a "spatial"
noun, where logically a possessive suffix would be expected.  [I suspect it
was originally an error that subsequently got "officialized", but the
result enhances Klingon's flavor as a simulation of a living language as
opposed to a strictly logical one.]

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level