tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 07 12:30:50 2004

Re: {Hov'a'} pagh {Hov'a'}be'?

lay'tel SIvten:
> > maybe {Hov} is broader in meaning than simple "star", so that it could
> > be used for "sun".

ghunchu'wI':
>I'm about a thousand miles from my reference material right now, but I seem
>to remember that KGT has a relevant comment on this.  At the beginning of a
>section titled something like "Mismatched Concepts", doesn't it tell us
>that {Hov} and "star" refer to exactly the same thing?

Good memory:

   When translating from one language to another, some concepts
   are easily conveyed. For example, the Klingon word {mIn} means
   the same thing as its usual Federation Standard translation--
   "eye", {Hov} refers to the same celestial object as "star",
   and either {cha'pujqutmey} or "dilithium crystals" will work
   in a warp drive system.  [KGT p.204]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons