tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 02 05:26:20 2004

Re: -Daq vs 'via'

Shamammd ([email protected])

In a message dated 4/2/2004 7:58:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:
qay'be'qu'. qaQaHlaHmo' jIbelbej. batlh tlhIngan Hol yIHaDtaH!
con QeS lagh

ok. here goes nothing. :) (since i dont know where you are from, i don't know
if you understand english idioms. the one i just used is one of them.) i am
doing a little experiment to see if something i said was accurate and to be
able see it from a different percpective as well. i don't know for sure that I do
understand the entire Daq thing, but i think i got it. not only that, but i
think i finally understood the object -no object part too. many times i fail to
notice the simple things, expecting the complicated ones. the "it was staring
me right in the face!" thingy. or the "if it was a snake it would have bit
me." lol
on the other hand i tend to simplify things in my explanations of how i
interpretted something. lets see if i (now focused on this knowledge) can give a
good enough explanation of what i understood to make another person in my place
be able to understand the same information. :)

the part below is an excerpt of an instant message where i am trying to
explain what i understood about Daq and how i finally got the connection:

Shamammd [7:53 AM]:  stop. if you indicate the destination you have to use
wI, whether you use Daq on river or not you have to use wI. this makes river the
destination. if you use maH you have to use Daq no matter what and it is not
the destination. it just means like where you are or something. i think it
means we are in teh river. this is my answer to ngabwI. from teh samples he gave
me and teh explanations, ( same as yours you emailed me, but with
explanations, i think i get it. we will see though.
Shamammd [7:58 AM]:  well he said that if you use wI it requires an object.
the object with jaH would be the destination. so then teh Daq on bIQtIq would
mean to the river. if it begins with ma...this is prefix with no object, so it
can't have a destination in the sentence if ma is used.
this means you wouldn't be going "to" the river, making the river the
destination. it would have to mean "in" it.

ok was that right and was enough information given for others to understand
it?

qatlho'qu'.

reH taHjaj tlhIngan Hol!

weQqul