tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 12 08:24:26 2003

Re: KLBC love

Sangqar (Sean Healy) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

> >point I should ask for a full explanation of the meaning of /bang/ since
> >Klingon seems so different to English that /bang/ may mean a subset of
>the
> >whole meaning of "love". May /bang/ be used for any kind of love that we
> >know about (for the wife, for the parents, for the children, for the
> >neighbours, etc)?
>
>Actually, first I was going to say no, but I was thinking of {parmaqqay},
>which is a "romantic
>companion, partner."
>{bang} is not the idea of "love" in general, it means "loved one", and this
>includes all persons you
>love, parents or neighbors.
>I conclude this from the fact that words like {vavoy} are called {bang
>pong} "pet name,
>endearment" but literally "loved one's name". So you may love your parents.

nuqjatlh?  KGT p199 (English edition):

...couples (officially married and otherwise) tend to call each other by pet
names (sometimes called endearments or hypocorisms or, in Klingon, {bang
pongmey} ["beloveds' names"]).  A {bang pong} (the singular form, "beloved's
name") is usually couple specific....Pet names are almost never uttered
unless the two members of the coupkle are alone....In fact, one of the
defining characteristics of a {bang pong} is that it be secret, known only
by the two mebers of the couple

Nowhere does it say that {vavoy} is a {bang pong}.  In fact, the discussion
of {vavoy} (and other {-oy} words) precedes this discussion, so one can't
say that {vavoy} was meant to be included under this topic.  It seems from
this quote that {bang pongmey} are used only by couples.  I don't know,
then, what the difference is between {bang} and {parmaqqay}.

Is there another canon source I'm missing, that says {vavoy} is a {bang
pong}?

>Quvar
>Beginners' Grammarian
>    ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH