tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 11 13:08:37 2003

Re: KLBC Re: Klingon WOTD: juHqo' (n)

Lieven (Quvar valer) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

ghItlh "chepqu'" <[email protected]>:

>tlhIng yoSmo' 'oH'a' *tlhIngan* mu''e'?
>Is the Kling District where the "Klingon" word comes from?

Your sentence is wrong somehow. In the sentence "A is B", the first cannot have this suffix.
If you want to say it in this way, I would suggest
   {tlhIngan mu' mung 'oH'a' tlhIng yoS'e'}
   "Is the kling district the origin of the word klingon?"

To answer your question technically:
    It was planned by the startrek producers to call the klingon planet "Kling", but they didn't like it, so
later they said it's a city. Perhaps someone will quote this from some encyclopedia.
    Staying in the StarTrek universe:
Some people also argue that it could from the people who lived in mines: {tlhIl}

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level