tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 30 22:52:47 2003

My first post to this list; typing with true Klingon letters

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

Hi,

This is my first post to this list.  I have been watching Star Trek
since I was a kid, and have seen all of the movies, etc.  I also
currently follow Enterprise.

Indeed, the fact that I am such a huge ST fan is one of the reasons
that I was suggested as a logical candidate to post this email to this
list.  I volunteer for a non-profit group called OpenOffice.org, or
OOo for short.  OOo would like to give your group, and in fact, the
world, a free office-suite computer program called OpenOffice.org
(yep, the name of the group is the same as the software program) which
will hopefully permit you to write Klingon in the actual Klingon
characters which appear at this link:

http://www.evertype.com/standards/csur/klingon.html

Please be advised that this email is not spam, and I am not selling
anything.  Rather, I am proposing to offer you a tool to enhance your
enjoyment of using the Klingon language.

OOo, the software product, is basically the same thing as the familiar
Microsoft Office, except that our product is now free, and always will
be free.  Have you heard of Linux?  Linux is an operating system, like
Windows, and OpenOffice.org is an application, like Microsoft Office,
which runs on top of the operating system.  Please forgive me if the
foregoing seems annoyingly simple.  I want to make sure we are all on
the same page.

To let you know that OOo is legitimate, and that our offer is serious,
I am pasting below a copy of an email exchange between Wil Wheaton
(yes, THAT Wil Wheaton, the guy who played Will Crusher on Star Trek's
The Next Generation (ST TNG).

Why do we do this?  Why does anyone volunteer for anything?  To make
the world a better place.  Really.  No kidding.

In fact, I believe that there is a huge cross-over between ST (all
series and movies) and open source software, such as Linux and
OpenOffice.org.  (For the benefit of the non-trekkors on the OOo
discuss list, here's a short history of Star Trek)  As you folks on
the [email protected] list certainly know, at the time of Star
Trek, The Original Series (ST TOS), Earth had gone through nuclear
world war, and was in the middle of a sort of dark ages, when Dr.
Zefram Cochran creates the first warp engine, thereby attracting the
attention of the Vulcans, resulting in Earth's first contact with a
non-Terran intelligent species (the Vulcans).

First Contact results in a type of renaissance on Earth in which
nation-states became a thing of the past, and Terrans rapidly
developed a peaceful, equitable society which eventually gave rise to
Jonathan Archer's first Enterprise ship, followed later by James Kirk
(excuse me for mentioning that name on a Klingon list, but remember
what Spock said, "Only Nixon could go to China!!!!)  and then later by
Jean-Luc Picard, etc.

So by the time that James Kirk comes on the scene, Earth is such a
peaceful, prosperous place that, centuries later, a disdainful (and
notorious) Ferengi named Quark complains in an off-handed comment that
"oh, yeah, Earth, what a disgusting spinning blue-green ball of
bliss..." or something along those lines.  (Ferengis are driven
largely by lust for acquisition of wealth, which they have elevated to
an elaborate religion).

Okay, so we Terrans are not there yet, but 25 million people or so use
OpenOffice.org, and thousands of volunteers dedicate hundreds of
thousands of hours per week (or so I'm guessing) to the coding and
marketing of this wonderful word-processing spreadsheet draw and
presentation software package called OpenOffice.org.  In other words,
we're having a global party, and you're invited!

Seriously, I sometimes tell people if you wonder what the world would
look like if people really cooperated across borders in a peaceful
project designed for the improvement of humankind, look at Linux and
OpenOffice.org.

Okay, so now you're getting worried.  Is this a cult?  No.  Do I have
to contribute time or money?  Not if you don't want to.  Will my email
address be sold? no, although our discuss list is indexed on Gmane and
Google, so whatever you say will be very much in the public domain, as
will this email.

Wil Wheaton and the other 20,000 people or so who read the OOo discuss
list would like to invite you to assist us in generating a way for
Star Trek enthusiasts to communicate with each in Klingon with the
Klingon characters given at the above site (or whatever characters the
Trekkor community feels are the best or "truest" rendition of Klingon
characters.

I have noticed on this list that you occasionally communicate with each
in Klingon using English language letters.  What we are offering to
you is to take the next step, if you would like, and help us help you
type Klingon characters with your ordinary keyboard.  Now I am a
simple end user, and an attorney by trade so I am over my head here in
understanding just exactly how the Klingon will be rendered.  I do
know that OOo can type in many, many different languages, many of
which do not use an English keyboard.  Perhaps eventually some company
will start manufacturing Klingon character keyboards, and you will be
able to type directly into Klingon from a Klingon keyboard.

Some of the languages which are already "localized" to OpenOffice.org
include the following:  Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Slovenian,
Chinese, and the list goes on and on.  We would like to invite you to
help us put Klingon on that list.  Here's the list:

http://www.openoffice.org

If you are interested, please feel free to either just reply to this
email, as I am subscribed to your list, or email me directly at
[email protected], or join the OOo discuss or marketing lists by
subscribing here:

http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html

Either way, thanks for your consideration of our proposal!

Here is the paste from Wil Wheaton's reply to our request for his
support of our Klingon localization project.  BTW, we are also hoping
to eventually do Vulcan, as well as several of the languages from Lord
of the Rings, if you know anyone who is interested in that saga.

[Marketing] Re: Vulcan & Klingon translations of the leading Free
Office suite...

From:
Sam Hiser <[email protected]>

To:
Wil Wheaton <[email protected]>

CC:
"OpenOffice.org "Marketing List <[email protected]>, l10n
Lang Localization List <[email protected]>

Date:
Yesterday 09:24:27

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 20:33, Wil Wheaton wrote:
> Oh my god. I love OOo.
>
> I will do ANYTHING for you guys. Did you know I wrote my first book
> using OpenOffice.org 1.0.1? I'm using 1.0.2 to finish my rewrite on
my
> current book, and my kids to all their homework on it. We're a linux
> family, and OOo is our only word processor.
>
> I'll do whatever you'd like for the translations (which I think are
> brilliant, by the way) but I don't know jack about the actual
> languages. I suspect all I could do is pose for some corny pictures,
> and maybe endorse the translation, but let me know what you want. I
> adore OOo, and I have jumped at any chance to let people know how
> wonderful it is. I even gave a talk at my local LUG about how great
it
> is.

I knew you were a geek family ;-)

I dont know JACK either about the translation process and I'M
publishing
on it (it's pretty involved, but it's going to save Planet Earth so
it's
worth it).

Perhaps our Trek-entusiasts (or any OOo Marketing Contributors who are
curious to learn and work on translation) can discuss with you ways
they
think you can help.

Christian?, Louis?  Should we have a mailing list for this, or would it
be better for Wil to provide the area on his site?  We need space, then
we can /. the thing in order to gather the motivated Earthlings.

What we need to do is get all the hackers who love Star Trek and who
love the idea of Klingon & Vulcan versions to get together and once we
organize enough people we can then plug that group into the "l10n"
(Localization) Project where they can get the support and resources to
build the Glossaries and do the translation work (there's about 21,000
word strings that need to be changed; then it needs to be compiled).

Perhaps Wil you can cast around the various CASTS to find other true
Trek alums who are also interested.  As a fair weather Trekkie, I think
if Nemoy were on board, we would blow the galaxy with this!

Please be aware that this is a PR play as much as anything and we are
going to leverage it for publicity.  So please BAIL now, if it's not
something you're up for.  If you are Wil-ling, then we would make you a
global spokesperson for OOo and go the distance...whatever you'd like
do.

This would be a good opportunity, perhaps, to test the Web-based
translation tools that Janos Noll created for the Hungarian translation
of OOo.  Also I hear that the Slovenian translation project has some
neat tools.  Perhaps we can use them or help them be GENERALIZED for
ours and other future purposes.

> Idea: take the "replace" option in a menu, and switch it with
"reverse
> the polarity."

LOLOL

Regards,
-Sam

> /geek
>
> Bye,
>
> Wil
> On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 07:07  PM, Sam Hiser wrote:
>
> > Hi wil-
> >
> > Thanks for an amusing blog.  It has VOICE.
> >
> > I have no idea about your acting career or Trek and make no
apologies
> > for that, but some of my colleagues at Openoffice.org
> > (www.openoffice.org) were fantacizing about having some hardcore
> > Trekkies get together to translate OOo 1.1 into both Vulcan and
> > Klingon...and thought yo might be intrigued.
> >
> > [Translation of the office suite: That would mean the menus,
messages,
> > wizards, help, spellcheck etc of the office suite would be very
> > user-friendly to Vulcans and Klingons who are inclined to write
memos
> > and whitepapers using a PC -- all those Vulcans & Klingons who dont
use
> > vi or emacs, that is.]
> >
> > Lord knows what this would accomplish in the Willie-Lowman Warp,
but it
> > would probably juice the lizzard of a few Star Trek fans and make
for a
> > crazy booth at the conventions.
> >
> > We're working on getting Mr. Sulu (George Takai, himself) involved
and
> > the road of course leads to Mr. Priceline one day with no
limitations
> > on
> > who can join the mad party...and I'm told it's a large family.
> >
> > For now, if we get a real thread of discussion going, there might
even
> > be a mailing list people can join. Whatta-ya-say, Wil?  It might be
> > interesting.  Or you might recommend that this could take place in
your
> > Soapbox Community??
> >
> > After completing the translation (which would take a few months)
the