tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 14:35:28 2003

Re: (KLBC) Is this right?

Quvar:
> > I do not like it, because it's too easy to make new
> > words by just adding -taH and -ghach. We know that
> > {-ghach} cannot be attached to the bare verbstem, but
> > using {-taH} every time seems a lazy way to avoid
> > this problem.

Tyler:
>Yeah, but in this case, {-taH} seems appropriate, since
>patience is usually a continuous thing.

I agree with Tyler.  {tuvtaHghach} works very well because of the nature of
being patient: it's something you do over time.  I've never heard of
someone being patient only briefly -- that would be *{tuvHa'ghach}, or
impatience!

Okrand himself used {-ghach} with {-taH} in his article in HolQeD
3.3:  {nobtaHghach} "ongoing giving" and {tlhutlhtaHghach} "ongoing
drinking".  In fact, these feel much more peculiar to me.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level