tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 22 18:27:07 2003

Re: "Star Mitzvah" sound file?

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: "Star Mitzvah" sound file?

> N.B. There are four missing Klingon words from both Frasier's speech and
> the captions, which makes sense if the captions came from the script.  As
> an exercise, see if you can reconstruct them are.

A challenge... alright, let's see... }}: )

> And here are the closed captions:
>
>     Pookh lod wih le koo
{puqloDwI' le'qu'} "My very special son"
Easy.

>     Hach jahj cho-koov-moakh
{Hoch jaj(?)  choquvmoH} "Every day(?)  you honor me"
({Hach} doesn't make sense here: "The day is developed. You honor me"
Neither do {HIch} "pistol" {Hech} "to intend, mean" {Huch} "money")

>     Leng-lidge lou-teb
>     Jahj leng widge-vahd bel rahp
>     Shoave dah-nobe-poo-boagh
{lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap Sov Danobpu'bogh}
"May the knowledges(?) of the same pleasure that you have given to my
journey fill your journey"?!??

Looking at the translation:
>    "My dearest son, each day you redeem me. May your journey be filled
>     with the same joy, wisdom, and purpose you have given mine."

it's missing "purpose" and "wisdom", and a {je}.(I'm assuming {bel} is
translated as "joy"). I remember {ngoQ} being used for "purpose" somewhere,
but I can't find it, and {Sov} only makes sense as a noun (I don't know if
it can be used as a noun, though, outside of {leSSov})

So at the risk of seeming like an idiot:
{puqloDwI' le'qu':
Hoch jaj choquvmoH.
lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov *rap, ngoQ rap je* Danobpu'bogh.}

"My very special son:
Every day you honor me.
May the same pleasure, the same knowledge, and the same goal that you have
given to my journey fill your journey"

Which makes alot more sense than it did before.

Corrections are welcome, because this is driving me up the wall...

--ngabwI'
tIq. taQ. tlhIngan tlhaq. HovpoH!
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/
HovpoH 700696.5