tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 22 15:51:02 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: qogh (n-body)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, October 22, 2003.
>
>Klingon word:   qogh
>Part of Speech: body part noun
>Definition:     ear (external)
>
>Additional Notes:
> >From Okrand's Notes, HolQeD Vol. 2, No. 4.

    Actually, there are two words for "ear": {qogh} refers to the flap
    of skin or cartilage or whatever it is that sticks out on either
    side of the head... {qogh} "ear", of course is homophonous with
    {qogh}, "belt". When used in context, there is seldom confusion;
    less so when the plural is used ({qoghDu'} can only be "ears"
    while {qoghmey} generally means "belts") This homophony explains
    why the Klingon slang expression {qogh tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take
    off one's belt" is used to mean "to not hear", for example, {qogh
    vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken off my belt; your secret is safe with me."
    (HQ 2.4)

>Also in KGT, as "cartilaginous flap."

    Some of the other commonly eaten parts include the ... {qogh} ("ear"
    - the external part, if there is one; the actual organ of hearing,
    the {teS}, is usually considered too small to bother with)" (KGT 88)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level