tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 10 10:17:46 2003

Re: The New Words

At 03:36 PM Sunday 10/5/2003, taD wrote:

>However, the new vocab does look interesting - in particular, {mIl} looks
>like it could have various interpretations, especially if used with aspect
>suffixes.  I also didn't notice any puns in the single-syllable words,

{mIl} = MILhouse!  Think about it: "This would be applied to a leader who
left office in disgrace".

BTW, did you notice how he slipped {ghet} "pretender" into the article
casually next to the existing {toj} "deceive"?

Also WRT {ghet} and {ghetwI'}, I wonder if we now have better words for
"act" and "actor", for which we've been using {Da} and *{DawI'} on the
list.  Okrand writes that "{ghet} and {ghetwI'} 'pretender' generally do
not imply deception, but simply role-playing."  Role-playing is the very
definition of acting.

>although I did find a pun in one of the new two-syllable words. See if you
>can find it too!

I assume that both {DavHam} "false honor" and {'eDjen} "person who is
arrogant or haughty" are puns, but the only thing I can work out for the
second "high {jen} Ed" or "Big Ed"?  Unfortunately, I have no idea who this
"Big Ed" might be.  Am I on the right track?

I'm wondering if one or both might be what I call "very personal puns"
based on people he knows.  E.g. {jIl} "neighbor" from TKD (Okrand had a
neighbor named Jill) or, from the last batch of new words, {'er'In},
{megh'an} and {qa'rI'} (Okrand's nieces, Erin and Meghan, are twins and
Carrie is their mother).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons