tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 28 23:23:37 2003

Re: jaghla'

Damn, my friend!  What you just wrote about 7-bit ASCII and content-transfer-encodings put my head in a daze.  What are you?  Speaking Klingon?

"Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]> wrote:FYI: your message came through rather badly mangled. It was
marked with no character set or content-tranfer-encoding, which
obligates the receiving software to treat it as 7-bit ASCII,
yet it contained non-ASCII characters, which some gateway had
already replaced with question marks by the time it got here.
I assume these were supposed to be apostrophes and you are using
some composer software that uses "smart quotes", but you should
examine your mail setup for consistency.

In any event:

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:41:28AM -0700, Viktor Horak wrote:
> In TKD section 6.2.4. PURPOSE CLAUSES is a sentence
>
> ja?chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla?
(ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla')

> The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer.

> I don?t question minor misspellings in TKD,
> like i insted of I, or a wrong letter in some words,
> they are easy to correct, but this word I?d like to
> make sure about.

I don't know why Dr. Okrand would have made a compound out of
{jagh la'}. Perhaps this sentence dates from an earlier
stage of the language when compounding was the norm for the
sense of the modern noun-noun construction? I defer to others
on the list; perhaps some consensus has been reached.

Ah, MSN. That explains much. :)

-marqoS

Glory to you, and to your House.
taHjaj wo'