tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 28 23:14:43 2003

Re: tlhIngan-Hol Digest 28 May 2003 05:00:00 -0000 Issue 2591

Thank you, Clayton!!!!!!!  I think you have just solved my problem with the difference between Aspect and Tense!  I have some thoughts but will post them soon.  Thank you!

Clayton Cardoso <[email protected]> wrote: I'd like to have a clearer idea of how aspect works in Klingon. I
tried to make this table, and I'd like to receive comments and
corrections.

Perfective
VERB + {-pu'}
Heghpu' vavwI' (My father has died)

Perfective (with a purpose)
VERB + {-ta'}
e.g.: SajlIj vIleghta' (I have looked at your pet)

Imperfective (with a purpose)
VERB + {-lI'}
e.g.: paqvam vIlaDlI' (I'm reading this book)

Inceptive
VERB + {-choH}
e.g.: jIbelchoH (I got pleased)

Inceptive (with a purpose)
VERB + {'e' tagh}
e.g.: jISuv 'e' vItagh (I started fighting)

Resumptive
VERB + {-qa'}
e.g.: jIQongqa' (I'll start sleeping again)

Terminative
VERB + {be'choH}
VERB + {'e' baq}
e.g.: ngoDvam vISaHbe'choH (I ceased worrying about this)
e.g.: ta' vItoy' 'e' vIbaq (I ceased serving the emperor)

Terminative (with a purpose)
VERB + {'e' mev}
e.g.: bIjatlh 'e' DamevnIS (you have to stop speaking)

Completive (always with an endpoint)
VERB + {-ta'}
VERB + {rIntaH}
e.g.: qachvam vIlammoHta' (I finished cleaning this building)
e.g.: yuQvam wIchargh rIntaH (we finished conquering this planet)

Habitual
{roD} + VERB
e.g.: roD vavwI' vISuch (I used to visit my father)

Generic
VERB
e.g.: bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI' moj, Hegh (Klingons are born, become
warriors, then die)

I have difficulty in expressing both the iterative and the
continuative aspects in Klingon. For example, the following
sentences:

Iterative:
I kept singing the song.
I'll keep trying over and over.
I keep working.

Continuative:
I continued singing the song.
He bothers me and will continue bothering me.
I'm glad you're calm now. Just keep calm.

Clayton Cardoso, novwI'
ET__{-_-}
ICQ 14972249

--