tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 21:11:38 2003

Re: Sup vs 'ep

From: "Hakuohalakahiki Dei nucis naHQun El dios de piņa"
<[email protected]>

> I speak to my dog in tlhIngan Hol;
> and after I put food in his dish,
> I say <yISup!>.
> And he does.

Two big problems here (you're teaching your dog the wrong commands!).

First, the word is /Sop/ "eat," not /Sup/.

Second, always speak in clipped Klingon to a pet.  Don't use verb prefixes.
Don't say /yISop/, just say /Sop/.

> But I put <nIm> on his food.
> So I'm wondering if <Sup> would
> still be the correct term; or possibly <'ep>
>
> Or is that ONLY for soup?
> Would you <Sup> cereal,
> or <'ep> cereal?

I suppose it depends on how much milk you put in it.  /Sop/ refers to
consuming solid food, /'ep/ means to eat soup, or something stew-like.
Cereal with milk may not be what Klingons had in mind, and they'd probably
waver back and forth if presented with a bowl of it, as it is likely outside
of their experience.

I'd just stick with /Sop/ for your dog.  If he eats other solid things, I'm
sure the distinction between eating solid food and eating soupy foods is
completely lost on him.

SuStel
Stardate 3403.3

Back to archive top level