tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 26 23:47:01 2003

RE: the glottal stop

ja' "Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan" <[email protected]>:
>In English and Klingon (and every language I've ever studied), no words
>exist that begin with a "pure" vowel sound.

Hawaiian is supposed to have minimal pairs differing only by the presence
or absence of a glottal stop at the beginning of the word.  The greeting
"aloha" doesn't have one.

ja'pu' "David Hand" <[email protected]>
>In English, to indicate that there is no glottal stop preceding a word
>that begins with a vowel, we use an "h".  Consider "hate" and "ate".
>They have the same sounds but for the glottal stop that begins the
>latter.

ja' "Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan" <[email protected]>:
>I disagree with this.  I'm no trained linguist, but I hear the air
>flowing for the 'h' before the voicing of the vowel.  I get the
>impression that a "pure" vowel begins voicing right away, but starts
>with an open throat.  An initial vowel in English is begun with the
>throat closed and a small explosion into the voicing of the vowel.

How about the words "honor" and "heir"?  I believe that's the kind of thing
David was talking about.  I was taught in school that a carefully pedantic
pronunciation of those words *does* have a pure vowel at the beginning,
sans explosion.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level