tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 26 20:32:54 2003

RE: Quote translation

> I'm trying toi translate the Emiliano Zapata quote "It is better to die on
> your feet than to live on your knees!" into Klingon. The best I could get
is:

> Hegh yoH batlh law' yIn yoHHa' batlh puS!
>
> Any way you can think to improve it?

In Okrand's book "The Klingon Way", p95 we have:

QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.
Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.
("Dying while standing is preferable to living while kneeling.")
["The grammatical construction is a bit aberrant; one would expect QamtaHvIS
and tortaHvIS.  In proverbs, grammatical shortcuts are not uncommon."]

I'll let the BG discuss your law'/puS construction.

DloraH

Back to archive top level