tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 22 04:28:06 2003

Re: tlhobqa'qu' taghwI'

ghItlh SuStel:

>jIyajbe'.  DelmeH pab 'oH tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom'e' qar'a'?  chut chu'
>tu'lu'bej, 'a DelmeH pabna' 'oH.

In retrospect, it'd probably take weeks of intensive discussion between
Okrand and Maltz to answer most of the kind of questions that would appear
in a descriptive grammar. Many we don't even know the answers to. I'm just
waiting for a book that will answer all my stupid trivial questions... :D
That's what got me onto the idea of replacing parts of the noun-noun
construct with <<nuq>>. (Incidentally: Voragh, is there canon support for
replacing the *first* noun of a noun-noun construct with <<nuq>> or <<'Iv>>
(eg. <<'Iv Ha'DIbaH>> "whose animal?", or is recasting necessary for that
too?)

tlhIngan Hol nu'angtaH Marc Okrand 'e' vIyaj, 'ach rut vInID vIneH.
(<<tlhIngan Hol nu'anglI'>> vIlo'Qo' 'e' yIyaj. :D)
I understand that Okrand is continuously revealing Klingon to us, but I
sometimes feel like trying. (Note that I didn't use <<-lI'>>; I doubt that
we will ever have the "entire" language revealed to us. Dr Okrand would
probably use a new Klingon proverb with his dying breath if he could. <g>)

Savan.

QeS lagh

<<not tIghmey ngo' juppu' ngo' je nItoj.>> ("Old customs and old friends
will never deceive you.") - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. No account expiration - no need to
worry about losing your Hotmail account. Go to
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au

Back to archive top level