tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 08:00:40 2003

Great Tao [Was: Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 34]

It just occurred to me that though I definitely need to find a good way to
render the Chinese "da4" (great) when it is used to describe various things,
I don't really need to worry about translating "da4 dao4" (great Tao), one
of the recurrent phrases of "Tao Te Ching". The reason is simple: I've
already done it. Great Tao is exactly what {mIw'a'} means

Let me explain.  The Chinese word "dao4" means "a path, way, method". By
extension the word is used to talk about the way the world is, the way it
works. It is in this sense that "dao4" is used in "Tao Te Ching" (Dao De
Jing). In many English translations "dao4" is translated as the Way, spelled
with a capital "W" to indicate its special status. I didn't like the idea of
translating "Tao" as {mIw} so I chose {mIw'a'}. As I once explained, the
word is meant to indicate a way understood as a "procedure, process" {mIw},
yet one that is "bigger, more important or powerful" than any other process
we can think of (implied by the augmentative suffix -'a'). It is modelled on
such Klingon words as {SuvwI''a'} "great warrior", {DevwI''a'} "great
leader". Naturally, {mIw'a'} like {SuvwI''a'} can be {tIn} or {potlh} or
{HoS} or {Dun} but that's because those attributes are already implied by
{-'a'}.

Thanks to your posting, ghunchu'wI', I can stop trying to create a pleonasm,
which solves *some* of my problems. {{:-) qatlho'qu'.

'ISqu'