tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 18 15:04:11 2003

RE: JangmeH toch De'wI' lo'

> I probably would have stated your sentence differently and
> avoided -lu' altogether.

Why do you want to avoid -lu'?
How would you say a sentence without specifying the subject?

> ... but there is definitely a past tense (-pu' or -ta') and in some
> cases a present tense (-taH).

Type 7 suffixes are NOT tense; they are aspect.

> but when we translate Klingon into English we find that Klingon
> does in fact have tense,

The english TRANSLATION might use tense, but the klingon does not.

>  Aspect, in most cases, is identified to us through the word "tense."

Umm... NO.  They are two different concepts.

Let's use the root sentence /vIlegh/ "I see him".

vIlegh - I saw him.
vIlegh - I see him.
vIlegh - I will see him.

vIleghpu' - I have seen him.
vIleghpu' - I saw him.
vIleghpu' - I will have seen him.

vIleghtaH - I was continuously seeing him.
vIleghtaH - I am continuously seeing him.
vIleghtaH - I will be continuously seeing him.

None of those sentences have time-stamps; so we don't know when the action
takes place.

Add time-stamps:

wejHu' vIlegh - I saw him three days ago.
DaH vIlegh - I see him now.
wejleS vIlegh - I will see him three days from now.

wejHu' vIleghpu' - Three days ago I had already seen him.  I might have seen
him four days ago, I might have seen him a year ago; I don't get that
specific; I merely say that as of three days ago the act of seeing him was
over with.

DaH vIleghpu' - Now, at this point in time, I have already seen him.  I
might have seen him yesterday, or it might have been a few months ago.

wejleS vIleghpu' - Three days from now I will have seen him.  I might see
him later today, I might see him tomorrow; I don't specify when I see him,
only that by time three days from now gets around our paths will have
crossed.

wejHu' vIleghtaH - Three days ago I continuously saw him.  It wasn't just a
glance.  I was spying on him and kept an eye on him all day.

DaH vIleghtaH - I am continuously seeing him right now.  He's been in my
sight for a while and I will be watching him for some time.

wejleS vIleghtaH - Three days from now I will continuously see him.  It
won't be just a glance.  I'll keep him in my sight all day.

DloraH

Back to archive top level