tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 10 15:02:03 2003

RE: Tao Te Ching Chp. 36

>><Hurghbogh peghHom bochqu'>.
>>This is called the little dark secret that shines.

>"the shiny secret that is dark"
>You have -bogh on Hurgh, not boch

For purely stylistic reasons:
in Klingon <Hurghbogh peghHom bochqu'> seems to sound better than:
<bochbogh peghHom Hurghqu'> while in English "the little dark secret that
shines"
seems to sound better than: "the shiny little secret that's dark".

Still, I may be wrong. Perhaps  <bochbogh peghHom Hurghqu'> is just as good
as what I wrote as well as being more like the English version.

The thing is that in the Chinese version the word for "light/shine" (ming2)
comes last and I felt it would be best if {boch}, too, appeared at the end
of the line. (the –qu' suffix on {boch} simply provides the rhyme).

BTW This line is very similar to a line that comes in Chapter 27 (see my

>>letwI' HoSwI' je chargh tunwI' jenwI' je.
>>What's soft and weak conquers what's hard and strong.

>pujwI' perhaps, instead of jenwI' ?

va'! jIbachHa'. wa'netlhlogh mu'tlheghvam vIlaD 'ach Qaghvam vIleghbe'!
HIvqa' veqlargh.

>DloraH

'ISqu'
www.geocites.com/taoteching_klingon