tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 03 20:09:51 2003

RE: KLBC Are these sentences right?

> >wa'leS vengDaq jIjaH
> >Tomorrow, I'll go to the city.

HolQeD Dec 98,

MO:   Here's the way jaH works.  jaH can be used, using your terminology
      both transitively and intransitively.  So, bIQtIqDaq jIjaH is "I go in
      the river."

      I'm moving along in the river, traveling in the river.  You can also
      say bIQtIqDaq vIjaH...

WM:   You'd still use the -Daq?

MO:   Yes.  But you don't have to.  That would be the way.  -Daq or no
      -Daq.  The prefix makes the difference in meaning.  jI- means I'm
      moving along in someplace.  vI- means I'm moving along to
      someplace.  You cannot say bIQtIq jIjaH.

WM:   At that point, bIQtIq has no function in the sentence.

MO:   Right.
<<<

So /vengDaq jIjaH/, I am in the city going (somewhere); going from one part
of the city to another part of the city.

/veng(Daq) vIjaH/, I am somewhere else going to the city.

wa'leS veng(Daq) vIjaH
> >Tomorrow, I'll go to the city.

DloraH

Back to archive top level