tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 10:51:33 2003

Re: Difference?

qatlho', SuStel.  chIch /jaH/ vIlo'DI' 'ach motlh /ghoS/ lo'lu' 'e' vIchaw''a'?

David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:From: "Klingon Warrior"

> Just some clarification and opinion questions for ya...
> What is the difference between the words /jaH/ and /ghoS/ (aside from the
obvious definition difference
>wich are "go" and "approach, thrust, etc.")? The reason I ask is because:
first, I'd like to know if there are
>some sentences that I must use /ghoS/ with, and second, too often I find
the word /ghoS/ being used when I
>think /jaH/ can suffice as well. If I were to say, "Go to hell!" Would I
say, /ghe''orDaq yIghoS/
>or /ghe''orDaq yIjaH/?

This is just my opinion, but I'd say the difference is one of focus. /ghoS/
focuses on following the path, while /jaH/ focuses on getting from place to
place. /jaH/ is concerned with your start and end points; /ghoS/ is
concerned with the journey in between.

You're not so concerned with "following the path to hell" as you are with
"arrive inside hell." I'd favor /ghe''orDaq yIjaH/ over /ghe''orDaq
yIghoS/.

This is just my unresearched opinion.

> Also, and this is because I just saw this, what is the difference between
the words /ghot/ and /nuv/? Any
> special time I'm suppose to use one over the other? What do you think is
the most appropriate way of
> saying the word "people"? /ghotpu'/?

I'm not aware of anything that Okrand has done to clarify the difference
between these two words. I believe he has used /ghot/ more often than
/nuv/. As far as we know, you can use them interchangably. Both /ghotpu'/
and /nuvpu'/ are good ways to say "people."

SuStel
Stardate 3494.9

Klingon Warrior
taHjaj wo'!