tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 06:19:12 2003

Re: jIqeq. mu'tlheghmeywIj tIlughmoH

nuja' lay'tel SIvten:
> jIqeq.  mu'tlheghmeywIj tIlughmoH.

lu', Qu'wIj 'oHbej.

> qorDu'wIj vIDel.
I think it's correct, but I'm not sure, since the people can speak but not the group-idea "family"

>be'nalwI', cha' puqloD, puqbe', jIH je 'oH qorDu'wIj'e'.

"my family is my wife, a daughter, ...."
sounds strange.
---
My suggestion looks weird too, but I believe it sounds very "klingon"
   {tay' qorDu'wIj, be'nalwI', cha' puqloDwI', puqbe'wI', jIH je}

I base this on the tkw-phrase:
   {reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je}
   "One is always of his tribe."
literally: "always are together a person and his house"
So I think it one can say "together are my family and my wife, my daughter..."
Anyone likes to start a nice discussion?  ;-)
---
Another way to rephrase in Klingon is to make two sentences. Let's do it "mathematically":
{vagh boq wej; chen chorgh} "three allies with five; eight takes form" (5+3=8)

{tay' be'nalwI', cha' puqloDwI', puqbe'wI', jIH je; chen qorDu'wIj.}
"My wife, daughter and two sons are together; my family takes form"

{qorDu'wIj wIchenmoH be'nalwI', cha' puqloDwI', puqbe'wI' je}
"My wife, daughter and two sons form my family"
---
Perhaps you can also say literally "in my family", but it sounds too much "federation standard":
  {qorDu'wIjDaq matay' be'nalwI', cha' puqloDwI', puqbe'wI' jIH je}
  "In my family, we are together, my wife, my daughter, my two sons and I."
---
>tlhogh tIv puqbe'wI'.
  "my daughter enjoyes/d a marriage."
Did she watch it? Or did she get married?
  {nayta' 'e' tIv puqbe'wI'}
  "my daughter enjoyes that she got married."

>nIteb veng tInDaq yIn wa' puqloD.

correct. consider also {Dab} "reside at":
  {nIteb veng tIn Dab wa' puqloD.}

>motlh juHwIjDaq yIn loDnI'Daj, 'ach DaH leng ghaH.

majQa'.

>nI' leng.

lu'.

>toH DaH nIteb mayIn be'nalwI' jIH je.