tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 06:56:57 2003

Re: lugh'a' mughghachvam?

About parallels and *faux-amis* in languages:

Stop playing around with all the possibilities and grids or patterns you might be able to
apply to the structure of a verb when you translate it.
No language is the same as another one. (And for Klingon, Marc Okrand has chosen
some of the least used grammatical rules that exist on earth.)

One must learn the *idea* of the word when you learn it, and just accept what it looks
like. Don't stick to letters and syllables. {poSmoH} means "open s.th", but you can also
translate it as "cause to be open". But in your mind, this word must be associated to the
image or the idea of opening something.

Just my humble opinion.

------

I just started to learn turkish, and that language is (like klingon) based on affixes, but also
the sound is important. Consonants appear and disappear, and vowels change all the time.
That's hard! I could either try to remember how every word is spelled, or learn the
meaning of the syllables. That's easier to remember.

I'd like to give an example, it's really interesting! ;-)

arkasinda = outside of
Looks like a long word, but I only need to know "arka", which is the stem for "outside".
That's followed by the possessive suffix "-in" (know the sounds: add the "s", and the
vowel is "i" because following an "a" :-).
The final suffix is "-da". And you can guess what it means? You won't believe it, it's the
locative suffix! ...hm.

so, "arkasinda" is "arka-s-in-da" and means literally "in/at his/her/its outside"

-----

okay, back to work!

Quvar.

Back to archive top level