tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 18 11:17:25 2003

Re: Mountain Dew tlho'ren

Tyler:
> > --- Scott Willis <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > qatlh Data' jay'?
> >
> > vIta'laH 'e' vIHar.
> > jImujqu' jay'! Qu'vatlh!

ngabwI':
>'ach mu' {noHHa'} (mis-judge) Dalo' 'e' DaHech'a'?
>mujlaH mu', mujlaH qech, mujlaH De', 'ach mujlaHbe' ghot 'e' vIHar.
>(Voragh, you out there?)  lughHa'laH ghot, qar'a'?

*{noHHa'} and *{lughHa'} are both unknown in canon.

{noH} "judge, estimate" appears in:

   chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq 'e' vInoH
   Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams. ST5

{muj} "be wrong" has never been used in canon.  We do, however, have this
comment in English from KGT referring to speech or language use FWIW:

    the characteristic patterns of younger people's speech, if noticed
    and commented upon, are more likely to be judged "sloppy" or "care-
    less" rather than "wrong". (KGT 138)

The difference from {lughbe'} is not known.  We have this pair in TKD
referring to people:

   bIlugh
   You're right. TKD

   bIlughbe'
   You're wrong. TKD

Both of which may be different from {Qagh} "err, be mistaken, make a
mistake".  We also have the slang word {bachHa'} "err, make a mistake":

   This word literally means something like "mis-shoot"--that is,
   "shoot wrongly". It is used in such constructions as {jIbachHa'pu'}
   ("I have made a mistake"; literally, "I have mis-shot"). The
   standard word meaning "err, make a mistake" is {Qagh}, as in
   {jIQaghpu'} ("I have make a mistake"). (KGT 145)

   Qagh yaS wa'DIch
   The first officer errs. KGT

And there's the idiomatic expression {bIQ ngaS HIvje'} ("The cup contains
water") which means "be quite mistaken, be totally wrong" (KGT 120).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level