tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 16 06:23:20 2003

re: is klingon too bound

Language must exist for one purpose. Comunication. If two speakers of a
language can understand one another than that language is working well. If
not, then it is not. Surely that is what really matters to people who are
passionate about their klingon "persona's". Personally I have learnt more
about linguistics in general through studying Klingon than I did at school
trying to learn French. On the subject of what I can do for tlhingan Hol, I
do not have the confidence to start a qepHom or join in on a translation
project. I am working my way through the postal course but havn't had a
reply for months. When I asked the question as to how I might describe
veganism within the constraints of the language, I was attacked for being
vegan. I don't want mastery of the warrior tongue handed to me on a plate
but I'm not as excited about the KLI as I was when I discovered that it
existed. To Klingon Warrior, I say this - regardless of your intentions, all
internet discussion boards are read by a variety of people, some are open
minded, some will guess at hidden meanings, some will be having a bad day,
and maybe one or two will understand where you are coming from. It's a
shame, but there it is.
I know this is a meta-point which will earn me a slapped wrist, but could
people not qoute whole posts, I don't have time to read through everything
that gets posted here, and people who post one sentance followed by a
page-length qoute arn't helping anyone.