tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 20:39:22 2003

The Challenge

ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

>Here's a challenge for anyone who thinks the language needs to expand:  Get two
>people to join the KLI.  It's not the vocabulary that must increase, it's the
>speaker base.

Which is why, amidst the frenzy of the rest of the Shore Leave convention,
with my nights and early mornings (oh, my aching head) spent in the bar with
a dozen Trek authors, I sat at a table and did a one-man impromptu qepHom
with anyone who came by and slowed long enough for me to engage them with a
friendly, "tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'? ghobe'? HIghoS 'ej qaghojmoH."

The result: I sold all the copies of ghIlghameS and paghmo' tIn mIS that I
had brought. I recruited several new members, accepted renewals from several
old members, and added two names to the list of people who will be attending
the qep'a' (that last one will show up on the website in a day or so).

Granted, I have some resources as KLI Director that others don't have, but I
was also alone. Imagine two or three or more people working as a group at
any convention doing the same. Toronto Trek was also this past weekend. Did
anyone attend? Did anyone spread the language there? Challenge has been
given, you cannot ignore it.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level