tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 10:50:19 2003

My 2¢ (was Re: Is the language too bound for its own good? (was Re: Klingon - Terminology Databases (IMHO)))

I have a personal opinion on this subject that is probably vastly
different than the majority, however, in true klingon fashion, I'm going
to speak it and everyone can get over it later =)

  There are many "artificial" languages, but only a handful that have
actually sprung from fiction in any way that is usable for conversation.
Fremen (from Frank Herbert's sci-fi masterpiece Dune) is limited to it's
almost-arabic vocabulary and proverbial constructs. But, the two language
groups that have fared the best in the eyes of the people are the Elven
languages Tolkien devised, and tlhIngan Hol, by Okrand.
  The differences in the two here are *very* important to my standpoint.
Quenya and Sindarin, both used in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, have
evolved. They've moved beyond what they were (to an extent), and become
what Tolkien envisioned. In fact, in some cases, they're as useful, if
not moreso than Klingon, and they're not even "complete languages".
Quenya has changed very little, being a dead language akin to Latin, but
Sindarin is actively translated every day in message boards and email
listings like this one. Why? Because Tolkien's approach to language is
vastly different than Okrand's. Tokien actually created a past for his
languages, going so far as to outline three different alphabets that were
used "throughout the ages, in succession" as one linguist put it. He
started the evolution of the Elven tongues, so speakers of Sindarin today
can actually go back and create new words as a concensus sees fit, by the
etymology of the words themselves. They have a past, they can dictate the
"evolution" of a term. There are few things they cannot translate.
  Okrand didn't do this, so we rely on him for words. (An image is
conjured up of thousands of Klingons staring at Boreth, waiting for a
message from Kahless himself, only to be left wondering if he'll speak
today) Okrand makes up words as he sees fit, and while this is a good
system, and has been working for roughly 20 years, it will /only/ work
while Okrand lives. When he goes to fight in the Black Fleet, we're
screwed for vocab. lol  Maltz isn't a grand help, either, for he only
serves IC purposes that continue to evade me (most of us consider
ourselves Klingon IC, not tera'ngan, so Maltz really does a
whole-lotta-nothing for those of us who are supposed to be native
speakers within the fiction.) Holding contests to beg Matlz for new vocab
once again conjures that Klingons-staring-at-Boreth image, with the
addition of perhaps a romuluSngan or tribble sacrifice. lol
  Okrand's system, the way it is, works fine as long as he lives. But,
Tolkien is gone, and his language lives on, with new vocabulary added
regularly to his constructed languages. Why? Two reasons. First, he
understood that when he passed, his "children" (he always liked the elves
best) would yearn for the realism of his works, so a semi-complete and
totally workable/speakable language was a must in order to provide that
(after all, he was a linguist himself). Secondly, he gave us something to
base future vocabulary and grammar on, etymology.
  Okrand has given us a similar gift in the second; while we know nothing
of primitive Klingon, we do know about the speakers, and their attitudes,
which would assist "us" in creating vocabulary when our children's
children's decendants speak the warrior tongue, and Maltz has long since
given up his tongue. Klingons don't say "hello." they say "what do you
want?" or immediately state their business. They don't assume you like
something by default (parHa'), they assume you don't (par). Klingons are
rough, crude, yet artistic and intelligent. In the future, that's what
will shape the language, unless Paramount decides to let it die through
selfishness and greed.

My 2¢,
Kash