tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 13 10:55:44 2003

Re: Is the language too bound for its own good? (was Re: Klingon - Terminology Databases (IMHO))

There are a couple of different ways of looking at this issue, from within
the fiction and outside the fiction.

Within the fiction, we are learning to speak the language of Klingons.  They
exist on another planet far away.  We can't go there and learn it; all we
can do is learn with what we have, and get occasional information from Maltz
(though his Federation interrogator).  Our goal is to speak the language
accurately, so that if we do meet a Klingon he can understand us.  In this
context, we can't change the language to suit our needs.  We don't want to
speak "Terran-Klingon."  If we start adding words, we're not speaking
Klingon any more.  (As for a lack of vocabulary, there's no reason that
Klingon should have words for Terran concepts such as "dog" or "truffle"
since they don't exist, we assume, on Kronos.)

Outside the fiction, this is a language created for a TV show.  Its legal
status is unclear, and though we believe Paramount would not win a legal
contest, practically speaking noone has the resources to challenge them.
Regarding Okrand, he is still an active and willing participant with the
community.  If he were ignoring us or didn't care about Klingon then I'd be
more interested in figuring out how the KLI can continue to develop the
language, but this isn't the case.

Whichever perspective you prefer, I disagree with the statement "You can't
use it in daily life, especially with having little to no words about daily
items and too much confusion about pronunciation and grammar.  We don't
learn it because it's not allowed to be anything more than a fake language."

First, there is no confusion about pronunciation.  For most practical
purposes, there is no confusion about the grammar.  And even the vocabulary
is sufficiently rich to handle most anything you want to say, as long as you
don't expect Klingon to have a word things like "taco."  There's nothing
wrong with Klingon lacking these words.  What's the English word for "taco"?
We don't have one, so we just say "taco."  You don't need a Klingon word for
it.

Every day, the speakers on this list prove that you can use this language.
Just come to a qep'a', and see how people who have put in the effort to
learn the language can speak it.  The problem here is your friend's
perception, not any shortcoming of the language itself.  Adding grammar and
vocabulary that make it easier for an English speaker to learn to speak
Klingon will not do anything to improve or advance the Klingon language
itself.

If you need to say "coffee-girl," what's wrong with saying {qa'vIn-be'}?  Of
course you can say this.  I may not understand what you mean, but I'm not
sure what "coffee-girl" means in the first place.  Will you find it in TKD?
Nope, but that doesn't mean we need to suddenly complain that Klingon is a
"fake" language and try to change the grammar/vocab.  We play games like
this with the language all the time, and we understand each other just fine.
It's usually people who don't know how to use the tools of the language who
complain that it doesn't have the right tools, because they don't match the
tools they're used to using for English.  Learning Klingon is about learning
to use new tools (grammar/vocab), and it's not easy.  I would have more
respect for the opinion of your friend who complained about Klingon's lack
of expressiveness if he could already use Klingon well enough to participate
in a simple conversation (or pass the Intermediate/Advanced KLCP exams).
Until he can do that, he hasn't earned the right to complain about what
Klingon lacks.

--
d'Armond Speers, Ph.D.
[email protected]