tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 08 19:13:22 2003

Re: yu' jIghaj...

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> Note:  Most people use {DIvI' Hol} Federation Standard (lit. "the
> Federation's language") for English, even though they're not necessarily
> the same thing.

Aren't they?  We know that Federation Standard is English.  For one thing,
Khan Noonian Singh says, upon waking up in Sickbay on the Enterprise,
"English.  I thought I dreamed hearing it."  For another, whether or not the
Universal Translator is changing languages into English for us Star Trek
viewers, nothing changes the WRITING we see.  We know it's not changed,
because Klingon, Cardassian, Romulan, and so on appear in their native
scripts.  So does "Federation Standard," and it appears as English.

Thus, Federation Standard is certainly English.  However, since /DIvI' Hol/
means "Federation language," one might question whether /DIvI' Hol/ actually
*means* "Federation Standard."  Okrand tells us it does, so we must accept
that.

On that basis, /DIvI' Hol/ is identical to English.

> Also, others will often clip language names like {*Germany*ngan Hol} to
> just {*German* Hol} to save typing.

I don't see any requirement that a type of people must be the genitive noun
in this construction.  Why not *Germany* Hol ("language of Germany")?

You could use any appropriate noun genitively to name a language, or a group
of languages.  (I'm going to drop the *'s here.)

tlhIngan Hol
language of Klingons

Qo'noS Hol
language(s) of Kronos