tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 00:43:08 2003

Re: "How is your food?" "What book?"

In my opinion (FWIW) it's not asking the question you think it's asking.  In
English, we use "how is ..." to mean a variety of different things.  For
instance, "how is your food" means "are you enjoying your food / does your
food taste good / ...", but "how is your son?" means "is your son healthy /
happy / out of jail yet / ...".  "How is your wife?" means, ..., well, I
won't go there.

If Klingons interpret the question literally, then {chay' 'oH SojlIj'e'}
(don't forget the {-'e'} on {SojlIj}) is an existential question.  "Is your
food?  How is it?"  Or paraphrased, "how is it that your food is?"  When
using {chay'} (or {ghorgh} / {qatlh}), think of what the sentence means
without the additional question word.  What does {'oH SojlIj'e'} mean?  This
is what you're asking the "how" about.

I don't think we know whether a Klingon will interpret {chay' 'oH SojlIj'e'}
literally, or whether they map it onto various underlying meanings as we do
in English, and thus get to the "does your food taste good" kind of meaning.
  That's why people were suggesting paraphrases such as {'ey''a' SojlIj} or
{SojlIj DatIv'a'}.

--
Holtej 'utlh