tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 19:58:23 2003

Re: "How is your food?" "What book?"

> On 6 Jul 2003 at 14:07, Klingon Warrior wrote:
>
> > I'd like to know if I'm saying these two sentences correctly...
> > "How is your food?"  /chay' 'oH SojlIj?/

You can't ask it this way.  /chay'/ is asking for a procedure (ex., /chay'
Soj vISop/ "How do I eat the food?").  (It's not a general call for an
opinion.

Ask a more specific question.

'ey'a' Soj
Is the food delicious?

tlhorgh'a' Soj
Is the food pungent?

Soj vutlu'chu'pu''a'
Has the food been prepared perfectly?

> > "What book?" (As if someone asked me to grab a book for them and I
> > just don't see one to grab)  /nuq paq?/

No, this means "What is a book?"  (Okrand has said that /nuq/ and /'Iv/ can
work like pronouns in "to be" constructions.)

"What book?" isn't a complete sentence in English, so it's not exactly fair
to ask how it's said in Klingon.  Try these on for size:

paq yIngu'
Identify the book!

paq yIpong
Name the book!

From: <[email protected]>
> For "What book?" doesn't "Where is the book" mean the same thing, in that
case its
> easy... /nuqDaq oH' paq?/.

Don't forget that when you've got nouns on both sides of a pronoun in a "to
be" construction, you must put /-'e'/ on the las noun.  (And watch your
spelling: it's /'oH/, not */oH'/.  Glottal stops are consonants too.)

nuqDaq 'oH paq'e'
Where is the book?

> and for "How's the food?" What about /Soj QaQ qar'a'?/ I think this is
literally, "The food
> is good isn't that so?"

When referring to food, it's not just "good" or "bad."  You have to be more
specific than that.  Calling the food /QaQ/ might be as strange as one of us
calling food "evil."  It makes sense, but it's the wrong word to use.

There's a whole section of KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER on food.  This
describes a lot of qualities that Klingons desire to see in food (or that
they want food to bring out for them).  It talks a lot about how to talk
about food.

SuStel
Stardate 3512.7

Back to archive top level