tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 14:58:41 2003

RE: Tao Te Ching Chp. 63

ja'pu' 'ISqu':
>> >Act without taking action.
>> >Work without doing work.

jIja'pu':
>> bIchavbe'taHvIS yIvang.
>> bIta'be'taHvIS yIvum.

ja' DloraH:
>To me this sounds like you're telling someone to waste their time; to take
>action and toil, but don't actually achieve anything.

Yes, that's how I interpret the English above.  Act and work, but have no
effect.

>Just the opposite of the intended meaning.

Interesting.  I don't know the original, of course, but I read the intent
of "work without doing work" as "expend effort without changing anything."
Sort of along the lines of the verb {mI'}.  The Klingon given by 'ISqu'
(bIvumbe'taHvIS yIvum) is of no help here. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level