tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 02 07:58:33 2003

Re: -Daq?

From: "Klingon Warrior" <[email protected]>

> I'm confused, SuStel...
> I'm not sure if you answered my question or not...
> I want to know how to say the phrase, "...in Klingon."  I now know that I
can't say, /tlhIngan HolDaq/.  In some
> sentences, the phrase "...in Klingon" is necessary,

In English.  In English, you're used to saying "In Klingon . . . ."  But
we're not trying to speak English here, we're talking about Klingon!  And in
Klingon, a different way of saying it is what is required.

> and I don't think that merely putting /tlhIngan Hol/ is sufficient for
those
> certain sentences.

It's not.

> So what do you think?  Translate this for me:  "In Klingon, /Doch/
represents 'thing'."

As in my last post, there are many ways to translate things that do not have
a one-for-one correspondence between the English and the Klingon.

Here's an exmple of this.  In TKW, p. 212, Okrand translates "Have the
courage to admit your mistakes" as /QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH./  Literally,
this is "Admit your mistakes, be brave."  Are you going to complain that
Okrand didn't come up with a way to say "have courage to admit mistakes"?
No!  It's the IDEA that's most important.  If you can communicate your IDEA,
then you're speaking correctly.

So if I want to say "In Klingon, /Doch/ represents 'thing,'" I'd say

tlhIngan Hol jatlhlu'DI', "thing" 'oS <Doch>.

There are other ways to say this.

> Also translate
> this for me:  "In English, /Hol/ represents 'language'."

DIvI' Hol jatlhlu'DI', "language" 'oS <Hol>.

> The phrases, "In Klingon" and "In English" are what I'm stuck on.

Then get unstuck.  These phrases do not exist in Klingon.  Do not translate
phrases, translate IDEAS.

SuStel
Stardate 3500.4

Back to archive top level