tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 01 09:36:44 2003

Re: K'mpec

Quvar:
>>mu'ghomwIjDaq *K'mpec* vIghaj, 'a mung vIqawbe'. <qempeq> ghItlhlu'.
>>qen HolQeD vIlaDtaHvIS <qI'empeq> vItu'. DaH jImIS. lugh nuq?

Voragh:
>Hmm... I don't have {qI'empeq} in my notes.  Which issue was this?

Tyler:
 >> I believe it was in HolQeD 10:2.

qarchu' Tyler Quvar je.

{qI'empeq} does indeed appear in a couple of example sentences using the
finger verb {qan} "use the pinkie" idiomatically on p. 9:

   qI'empeqDaq jIqan
   (I think that) K'mpec is old.
   (lit. "I point at K'mpec with my little finger.")

   qan qI'empeq
   K'mpec is old.

>AFAIK we don't have an official spelling for K'mpec - pronounced by the
>actors as /kim-PECK/ - yet, but the name K'mlak appears as {qImlaq} in KGT
>(p.53) in examples of using Klingon ranks:
>     [....]
>Using this as a model, I would suggest simply *{qImpeq}.
>
>In Paramount-style names the "vocalic" apostrophe between two initial
>consonants is rendered simply by {I} by Okrand -- e.g. {qItI'nga'}
>K'Tinga, {qIvo'rIt} K'Vort, {ghI'boj} G'boj, {tI'vIS} T'vis.
>
>We see some variation when the apostrophe separates a consonant from a
>vowel -- {tI'ang} T'Ong vs. {be'etor} B'Etor.  This probably has to do
>with the quality or strength of the following vowel.

Well, so much for that!

I wonder if Okrand thought the name K'mpec was pronounced in three
syllables: /k(uh)-EM-peck/.  Perhaps he knows of the name in writing, but
never saw the TNG episode "Reunion" and heard the actors say it.  Or
perhaps he was just being playful and decided to play with the spelling to
shake us all up?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons