tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 19 12:07:59 2003

Re: KLBC

Am 17.01.2003 16:07:01, schrieb "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>:

>From: <[email protected]>
>> yIpIvtaH! Stay healthy!
>
>I know people don't want me to keep reminding them of this, but according to
>KGT, this should probably be /yIpIv'eghmoHtaH/.  (See the entry on /yItaD/

Yes, you are right. I was thinking about that when I wrote it.
   My thoughts were that when you command "be s.th." {yIpIv'eghmoH} it means literally "become s.th."
But when you command somebody to "stay" in a condition, it's a condition s/he is in already, so there is no need to {-'eghmoH}

I might be wrong, of course :-)

I also had in mind what MO once said:
   {yItaH 'ej yIcheptaH}
   "Live long and prosper."

But perhaps Marc Okrand said this with a mistake, OR he said it before he wrote the comment in KGT.
OR perhaps this example is not vailable because the verb {chep} is not only "be prosperous" but also "prosper".
I found no other command together with {-taH} though.... :-(

Quvar
  ghojwI'pu'lI' tISaH

Back to archive top level