tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 13 04:33:48 2003

Re: KLBC

[For simplicity and clarity, prefixes which can refer to male, female, inanimate, singular, and/or plural will be translated correctly, but usually without giving all the
options.]

Gina wrote:
>I am still having trouble understanding the verb Type 5 suffix -lu'.

What exactly do you not understand?

This is how I remember it in one sentence:
   "This suffix turns around the meaning of a prefix and results in a passive voice translation"

(Okay, nobody beat me, I admit this is very rough.)

I'll try to explain with an example:
    "he watches you" {Dubej}
You'd say this, when you know that one person watches, and you know who you're talking about: "HE watches YOU"
    But when it's not sure, and you know that *someone* is watching, and you don't know who, use {-lu'}. That's why in TKD it's called "indefinite subject". The
subject is "indefinite", TKD says >>>>This suffix is used to indicate that the subject is unknown, indefinite, and/or general. <<<<

TKD 4.2.5
second-person object. Thus, {vI-,} which normally means "I do something to him/her," when in a verb with {-lu'} means "someone/something does something to me."
Similarly, the prefix {lu-,} which normally means "they do something to him/her," becomes "someone/something does something to them."<<<<

Confusing, maybe.
Shortly: prefixes that usually are translated "xxx-it" will become "it-xxx" when joined with the suffix -lu'.

back to our example
   "you are being watched (by someone)"
   "someone watches you"

Since the -lu' suffix "turns around" the meaning of the prefix, we need to approach from the other side:
  The indefinite subject is always third person (that's what TKD says above),
  In this example, the object is "you".

First say the opposite ("he" is object, "you" the subject)
  {Dabej} "you watch him"
And when you add {-lu'}, object and subject are flipped around:
  {Dabejlu'} "he watches you", better "someone indefinite watches you"
Fluent translation is passive voice: "you are being seen"

I don't know what else to add, except for this memorizing trick:

    {Dalegh}    you see him
    {Daleghlu'} you are being seen by him

Perhaps someone else can give less confusing advice, if this was not sufficient ;-)

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level