tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 22:51:49 2003

Re: How fat is he?

> I  believe meta-topics such as this one, about the list and its rules,
> may also legally be discussed in English.  Which is good, since that's
> what we appear to be doing. :)
>
> But I don't think Captain Krankor was accusing anyone of violating
> the rules.  Sure, it's legal to post about grammar in English, but
> that's not the point; if you're replying to a post that happens to
> be BOTH about grammar AND in Klingon, you should at least try to
> reply in kind.  It's much harder, but that is sort of the point;
> to reply in English is to show disrespect to the original poster's
> efforts to frame his or her thoughts in Klingon.
>
> I happen to agree with Captain Krankor on this point, which is why,
> when he replied in Klingon to my English post on translating "Live
> Long and Prosper", I replied in Klingon.  Twice.  Even though my
> second message was so long and such a stretch for me that it may have
> come out as an incomprehensible mishmash, at least I made the effort
> to compose it, and I hope someone was willing to put in the effort
> to try and read it.  (Even though I haven't gotten a reply yet. :))
>
> --
> marqoS <[email protected]>

I post this in English because I want to be certain that beginners
clearly understand what is going on:

1) marqoS has hit the nail on the head in everything he says here.

2) In particularly, I was not in any way insinuating that SuStel was
in any way violating list rules.  (if he were, I would not have challenged
his honor, I would have simply pointed out the rule).

3) I challenged him simply because I know he is highly skilled with the
language and can withstand being held to a higher standard.

4) The implication of all of this to beginners is:  do NOT in any way feel
at ALL obliged to live up to the same standard.  If you find yourself in a
like situation, that you have something to contribute to a grammatic
discussion, be it insight, idea, novel solution, question, or request for
clarification, but you feel your skills are not up to the task of posting
it in Klingon, then by all means, post it in English.  It is absolutely
within the rules, as have been helpfully and usefully reposted, and indeed
that is the reason the rule was written that way in the first place.  If
you are bolder and want, like marqoS, to take up the challenge and try to
respond in Klingon to a Klingon post about grammar, you are heartily
encouraged to do so.  But don't sit in silence because you feel you can't
manage the Klingon well enough.  It was NEVER my intent to imply that you
should.  SuStel is more than capable of answering in Klingon, as his
responding post commendibly demonstrates, but certainly it is understood
that not everyone is.

5) In retrospect, I probably should've written my whole post in Klingon.
I apologized for not doing so in the subsequent Klingon post I sent, but
I am happy to apologize again in English for the benefit of any who couldn't
follow the Klingon.  Indeed, had I done so, it would not have been necessary
to write an explanation like this for beginners.  So I do apologize again.

            --Krankor

tagha':

>  Even though my
> second message was so long and such a stretch for me that it may have
> come out as an incomprehensible mishmash, at least I made the effort
> to compose it, and I hope someone was willing to put in the effort
> to try and read it.  (Even though I haven't gotten a reply yet. :))

marqoS:  QInvetlh cha'DIch DangeHpu'bogh 'ej jangpu'bogh pagh vIHevpu'chugh,
vaj vIchIllaw'pu'.  jItlhIj.  chongeHqa'neSchugh, vIjangbej.
[email protected].

            --HoD taHqeq

Back to archive top level