tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 14:54:42 2003

Re: Question

ghel Jennifer Kalel:

>How do I say "question" in tlhIngan-Hol?

Unfortunately there is no noun meaning "question" in Klingon, but there are
two verbs you can use: {yu'} "question, interrogate" and {ghel} "ask (a
question)".

Use the first when you want to question (i.e. interrogate) someone.  E.g.:

   DIvI' qama'pu' yu' neH Qugh.
   Kruge wanted to question the Federation prisoners.

Use the second when you want to ask a question.  We don't have any examples
of Okrand using {ghel}, but it probably works like {jang} "answer, reply"
and other verbs of speech.  E.g.:

   ghel Qugh <<nuqDaq chaH DIvI' qama'pu''e'?>>
   Kruge asked, "Where are the Federation prisoners?"

or

   <<nuqDaq chaH DIvI' qama'pu''e'?>> ghel Qugh.
   "Where are the Federation prisoners?" Kruge asked.

So instead of saying, for example, "I have a question: What is that word?",
you would say

   jIghel vIneH <<mu'vetlh 'oH nuq'e'?>>
   I want to ask: "What is that word?"

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading
Klingon--that's

Back to archive top level