tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 04 12:34:48 2003

Re: nuq vIjatlhjaj

DImatlh wrote:

>*I love you*, nuq jatlhlu'.

chay' <<I love you>> jatlhlu'?

{chay'} "how" tends to be used in these types of questions.  E.g.:

   chay' jura'
   What are your orders?
   ("How do you command us?") TKD/ST3

   chay' Dochvam vIlo'
   What do I do with this?
   ("How do I use this?") TKD

   chay' nguv
   How is (it) tinted? KGT
   [i.e. What color is it?]

>*qabang*, majbe''a' 'oH?

QaQbe''a' <<qabang>>?  [Use the verb {QaQ} "be good"; {maj} is an exclamation.]

As for you question, {bang} "love" is a noun, meaning "beloved one".  It's
the person you love, not the emotion.  For that, Klingons have the word
{parmaq}, "conventionally translated 'love' or 'romance' (though the
Klingon concept is far more aggressive than the Federation Standard
translations imply)" as Okrand explains in KGT (p.199); perhaps "lust" is
closer to the mark.

Unfortunately there is no known verb "love" and you cannot use the verb
prefixes on a noun, so you'll have to use a work around.  Here are three:

1.  Use the noun {bang}.  E.g.:

    bangwI' SoH.
    You are my love (beloved one).

You surely wouldn't say this to someone you didn't love, would
you?  (Whether you're sincere is, of course, another matter entirely.
<g>)  Klingons use {bang} to form noun-noun phrases:  {bang bom} "love
song" (lit. "beloved's song") and {bang pong} "pet name, endearment,
hypocorism".

2.  Use a known verb close in meaning to "love".  E.g. {parHa'} "like" plus
the emphatic suffix {-qu'}:

    qaparHa'qu'
    I really like you. I like you a lot. I like you very much.

    qabelmoH'a'?
    Do I please you? PK
    (lit. "Do you like me?")

    SoHmo' jInong.
    Because of you, I am passionate.

3.  Create a near match from an known verb.  The most common way to say "I
love you" on this List is, in fact, to use {muS} "hate, detest" plus the
suffix {-Ha'} ("undo, do wrongly, to un-") to it to form a kind of
opposite.  E.g.:

    qamuSHa'
    I love you. ("I un-hate you")

Many, but not all, Klingon verbs form their opposite in this way.  Note
that {muSHa'} may not mean exactly what the English verb "love" - or the
Russian verb *lyubit'* - does, but it's probably as close as we can get
given our current knowledge of the language.

These are only suggestions.  AFAIK we don't know how a Klingon would tell
her/his {bang} "I love you" - assuming s/he would even feel the need to do
so.  Unfortunately for Federations linguists, Klingon romance is considered
extremely private and not something to be shared with strangers, let alone
nosy aliens.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level