tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 28 20:05:06 2003

Re: MOST terminology

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Sunday 28 December 2003 17:35, Se'noj le'umaS wrote:
> >Please forgive me for asking what might be a stupid question, but I
> > am new to this list.

Thanks for the info.  Comments in line...

snip...

> >How does a Klingon word become "official"?  Is there a body which
> >votes, or does it become "official" through peer review and
> >acceptance, or does it become "official" by merely becoming
> > recognized as a good solution and thereafter becoming widely
> > adopted?   I'm guessing that it might be a combination of several
> > of the above.
>
> A Klingon word becomes official when Dr. Okrand says it does. And
> not necessarily in publication. I'm sure many will regale you with
> pleasure about the origins of {Sa'Hut}.

Okay.  Thanks.  Good to know.  I was under the mistaken impression,
then, that Dr. Okrand was like the clockmaker who creates the clock,
winds the clock, and then lets the universe expand on its own
momentum.  It sounds like that impression was incorrect.  It sounds as
if there might even be regular reviews or meetings which Dr. Okrand
conducts to evaluate new submissions, etc?  Is that guess correct?  or
how does Dr. Okrand meet and interact with the Klingonist community,
which I guess is rather large and international.

BTW, are there any estimates as to the size of the international
Klingonist community?

Thanks again, Se'noj

Christian Einfeldt

Back to archive top level