tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 15 16:03:00 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: vu'wI' (n)

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Steven Boozer wrote:
> >   {Qu' vu'wI' yaH}
> >   Mission Ops (Star Trek Communicator)
>
> I've nothing to add, except that I've always translated {Qu' vu'wI'} -
> literally "mission manager" - as "operations officer".  Not exactly sure
> what a {Qu' vu'wI'} does in Trek:  perhaps monitor boarding parties
> {tIjwI'ghom}, landing parties {Saqghom }, and shuttle craft {lupDujHom}
> missions (in case they need assistance at a moment's notice)?

So, my question comes up, can I refer to my manager at work as /vu'wI'/ or
does /vu'wI'/ have a connotation as something that is not a sentient
being?  Being Klingon, perhaps a person would not be a /vu'wI'/, but would
rather be a /la'/ or /ra'wI'/...?

Or is it a context thing, such as in English, where a "translator" could
be a person or device?

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
              "I love it when a plan comes together."

Back to archive top level