tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 11 16:25:41 2003

Re: tagh'a jIlIH'egh

ngabwI':
> > To something like {«mu'mey yap vISovlaw'» jIjatlh; jIQub}, perhaps?

SuStel:
>No.  You're not speaking, so /jatlh/ is inappropriate.  It's not just some
>kind of quotation marker word.  It actually means "speak, say."

Also, {Qub} is redundant when used with {-law'} -- unless you want to
emphasize that this is a literal thought in your {yab}.

Okrand on {-law'}:

   This suffix expresses any uncertainty on the speaker's part and
   may even be thought of as meaning "I think" or "I suspect".
   [TKD p.40]

Okrand on {Qub}:

   it's OK to say ... {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vIQub} "I think that
   you speak Klingon"
   [msn.onstage.startrek.expert.okrand (7/01/97)]

So use one or the other, but not both.  E.g.:

   mu'mey yap vISovlaw'.

   mu'mey yap vISov 'e' vIQub.

Of these, I much prefer the first.  {-law'} is one of the more
under-utilized suffixes, having a fairly wide range of meaning:  it seems
(to be), apparently, seemingly, I think that, I suspect that, etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level