tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 08:20:31 2003

Re: KLBC how smooth..

> >tlhIngan Hol "stand-up routine" vIghItlh 'e' vIneH.
>
> According to TKD, you don't need to use {'e'} with {neH} or verbs
> indicating speech ({jatlh}, {jach}, etc.)

Verbs of speech are /jatlh/ and /ja'/; NOT /jach/ or any other.

For the other words, like /jach/, you still need to use /jatlh/ if you are
including a quote.

jach HoD, jatlh baH!

HolQeD Dec 98:

WM:   Do you see a division about which ones would be appropriate used
      as verbs of speech?

MO:   Very few.  Verbs of speech are "say" verbs, like jatlh and ja'.

WM:   In English, we use many of them.

MO:   Yes.  In English, we say, "Give me some water," he said.  "Give me
      some water," he pleaded.  "Give me some water," he yelled.

WM:   He added.  He begged.  He opined.

MO:   Exactly.  I think that's an English thing to do.  That's not a Klingon
      thing to do.  In Klingon, you jatlh and you ja'.  That's about it.  The
      guard asked the prisoner a question.  He replied.  He said, "[gestures a
      quotation he never quite made]"

      [After the intewiew, I made the following three lines of examples to show
      how this worked:

      qama' yu''avwI'. jatlh Qu'lIj DarIn'a'?

      'avwI' jang qama'. jatlh tugh. vIrInmeH taj vlpoQ.

      mon 'avwI'. jatlh chotojmeH bInIDchu'ta'.

      Dr. Okrand modified one sentence and said he accepted them as valid but

                     Page 4

      wanted it noted that they were my sentences and not his, in his words, "a
      suggestion by you, okayed by me." - WM]

WM:   So, basically, in Klingon, you would just use jatlh a lot.

(clipped)
                      Page 5

MO:   The way I see I see the verbs of speech, there may be more than just
      ja' and jatlh, but there is only a small number of words, unlike
      English.  You have to use a separate sentence for the replying,
      pleading, screaming.  "He screamed.  He said,'Come help me.'"

WM:   Since a direct quotation grammatically looks like two separate
      sentences, you are saying that it would now look like three separate
      sentences at that point.  You'd have one describing what style of
      verbalization he was having, one saying "he said" and one giving
      the quotation.

MO:   Yes.

WM:   Very interesting.
<<<