tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 15:52:40 2003

Re: qatlh vay' vInuQ :)

ja' SuStel:
>You have misremembered.  When the dictionary shows verb+suffix, the standard
>interpretation is that it's verb+suffix, not a distinct verb.  /lo'laH/ was
>the most obvious EXCEPTION.  I'm not sure if Okrand ever stated outright the
>status of /ja'chuq/; I seem to remember that he did, but it wasn't in the
>same post as the others.

He never clarified it in a post, but he didn't have to.  It never needed
clarification beyond what he wrote in TKD.  Page 65:

   (The verb is made up of {ja'} "tell", {-chuq} "each other";
   thus, "confer" is "tell each other".)

>I am convinced that /ja'chuq/ is simply /ja'+chuq/, and that Okrand himself
>said this somewhere.

It's been explicit since TKD was written.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level