tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 16 06:33:23 2002

Help with translation

Once again I want to translate something and could use some help.

Here s the klingon text:
 jan QIHbe'pu' - bItI'taHqu'
This is what it is supposed to be:
 A device that isn t broken, you can fix forever.
That is what I want to say:
 If it ain t broken, you can fix it forever.
(Simliar to "If it ain t broken, don t fix it")

I m not sure what to use for "broken", so I used QIH "damage" and added
"-pu' ", so it is "damaged" or "destroyed". As you see, I used it as an
adjective, though I'm absolutely not sure if that works at all. If
someone knows a better word - please tell me.

Also, I used "jan" "device" for the rather unspecific "it". I think it
fits in quite good, though I probably could use " 'oH" too. Any
recommendations?

As I just saw, I probably should have added "-chugh" "if" too, but if I
added it, the sentence would lose it s symmetry (...pu ...qu). Will the
sentence still be correct if I do not add it?

The last question: is the "bI-" fitting, or would I have to use "Da-",
since it actually is "you/it", not just "you" as in english.

Well, that was it. Thanks in advance for any reply.

Christoph

Back to archive top level