tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 29 15:59:06 2002

Re: 'ISqu' (KLBC probably needed..)

Am 29.10.2002 12:39:42, schrieb Viktor Horak <[email protected]>:

>QepHom vISuch 'e' vISov wej. jItullu'.
typo: {qepHom}, not *QepHom*.
{wej} "not yet" is an adverb, and comes at the beginning of the sentence. And you have actually two
sentences:
1. qepHom vISuch
   "I visit qepHom"
2. 'e' vISov
   "I know that"
Since the "not yet" refers to the "I know"-part, {wej} comes at the beginning of that sentence:
wej 'e' vISov
   "not yet I know that"

The whole sentence can be put together:
   {qepHom vISuch wej 'e' vISov}

>jItullu'.
How did you get to this? {jItul} is correct for "I hope".
But when you use the suffix {-lu'}, you get a completely different meaning. You can read in TKD
chapter 4.2.5 about this suffix.
Very briefly: *-lu' needs a prefix with a third person object, and turns its meaning around.*

example:
  {vIlegh} "I see him"
  {vIleghlu'} "someone sees me", "I am seen"

  {Daqaw} "you remember it"
  {Daqawlu'} "someone remembers you", "you are remembered"

  {SuvnIS} "he needs to fight"
  {SuvnISlu'} "(some)one needs to fight"

>I don't know yet whether I'll visit qepHom. I hope so.
I'd like to meet you. I hope you come also!

>'ISqu', qepHom bISuch?
{qepHom} is the object, you need the prefix {Da-} "you-it":
   {qepHom DaSuch}
And besides, you are asking a question that can be answered with "yes" or "no", so you need the
question suffix #9 {-'a'}.
   {qepHom DaSuch'a'}
   "Do you visit the qepHom?"

>lup bIlo' nuq?
>What means of transport will you use?
Sorry, {lup} is a verb ;-)

This kind of questions "What noun do you verb?" is mostly translated as a command: "Identify the noun
which you verb!"
I won't give you the translation, I think you can try it by yourself.
Try to translate "Identify the vessel which you use in order to travel".
This looks a lot, but it's just many words. "which you use" is one word in Klingon, "in order to
travel" is one word, ... I believe I'm giving too many hints...

object is "vessel to travel"
For the use of "which", the so called relative-clause marker is described in section 6.2.3.

But why do so complicated? Try to think like a klingon. Think straight. Klingons are very direct, and
brief. They would just say:
   {chay' bIleng?} "How do you travel?"

>Olomouc Hopbe' Sosnowiec.
>Sosnowiec isn't far away from Olomouc.
Like verb {Sum} "be nearby", the verb {Hop} "be far" describes the distance from the speaker. So when
you say {Hopbe' Sosnowiec}, we understand that it is not far from you. When 'ISqu' writes {Hopbe'
Sosnowiec}, then she is right, that's where she lives.
Now, if you want to say this with two places, you say:
   "In Olomouc, Sosnowiec is not remote"
   {*Olomouc*Daq Hopbe' *Sosnowiec*}

>chaq, tay' laH maleng, pa' bIjaH vaj.
>Perhaps, we could travel together, in case you'll go there.
{vaj} is "so, then, thus, in that case", but not the way you've used it. {vaj} is a conjunction
between two sentences. It means "then", like "if this happens, THEN that happens".
What you wrote "in case", which means "if".
In klingon, the verb suffix #9 -chugh "if" is used:

   {bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh} KCD
   "Surrender or die!"
   ("If you don't surrender, then you die")

In this canon example you can also see the use of {vaj} again.
The object of the verb {jaH} is the place where you go:
   pa' DajaHchugh
   "if you go (to) there"

"travel together" means two things for a Klingon: 1: "to travel", 2: "be together". So, this is,
"while we travel, we are together". Can you follow?

   {chaq malengtaHvIS matay'laH}
   "Perhaps we can travel together."

I hope I forgot nothing. DaH jIQongnISba'.
Now I really need to sleep, this was a long mail ;-)
You guys are just getting home from work, and I go to sleep.
jIvemDI' SuQongchoH. wejpuH, qar'a'? }};-)

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level