tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 29 01:03:30 2002

Re: KLBC - 3.3.4

Am 29.10.2002 01:24:52, schrieb "Gina Robertson" <[email protected]>:

SuStel:
>> Actually, it should be /yuchwIj lunIH puqpu'/.  The verb prefix /lu-/ is
>> necessary here, unless your meaning is "chocolates," a plural concept.

Gina:
>where is that listed... i'm lost now

SuStel is right. The prefix {lu-} is needed.
It's the the most forgotten prefix that I know :-)
It means "they (do s.th. to)- him/her/it", so this is "they" (the many children) steal "it" (the
chocolate).

When there is no prefix, it's the prefix listed in TKD 4.1.1, that looks like a "zero", "0". It means
that there is no prefix, so don't write "0".
You see it's in the chart several times, so this prefix can mean different things:

he/she/it-(no object)
   {nIH puq} "the child steals"
he/she/it-he/she/it
   {yuch nIH puq} "the child steals chocolate"
he/she/it-them
   {nuHmey nIH puq} "the child steals weapons"

they-(no object)
   {nIH puqpu'} "the children steal"
they-them
   {nuHmey nIH puqpu'} "the children steal weapons"

Now this might look a bit confusing, because it's many different things at once.
But you only have to remember:
   The "3rd-person does 3rd-person" prefix is the zero-prefix.
   exception: {lu-}

they-he/she/it
   {nuH lunIH puqpu'} "the children steal the weapon"

So you only need to remember {lu-} for "they-it", the zero prefix is for the following:
  s/he/it/they - (no object)
  s/he/it      - him/her/it/them
  they         - them

   Maybe SuStel also confused you because of "chocolates". From what I just explained, the zeroprefix
can mean different things. In your sentence {yuchwIj nIH puqpu'}, the subject is obviously plural. But
the object can be both (Read the first paragraph of TKD 3.3.2).
   But with your prefix, the object must be plural. See the chart above.

I hope I got your question correctly.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH