tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 15 12:13:47 2002

Tao Te Ching; Chp. 47

47K

qo' naQ DaSovchoHmeH lojmIt DaveghnISbe'.
chal mIw DaleghmeH Qorwaghvo' bIbejnISbe'.
Daq Hop DalengtaHvIS nuptaH SovlIj [A].

vaj Dochmey Sov yajchu'wI' [B] ghoSbe'taHvIS.
Dochmey pong leghbe'taHvIS.
vangbe' 'ach ngoQmeyDaj chav.

47E

You don't need to step through your door
   to know the whole world.
You don't need to look from the window
   to see the way of heaven.
The farther you go, the less you know.

Therefore the sage knows things without going to them,
And names things without seeing them.
He takes no action yet he accomplishes his goals.

[A] The Klingon version really says: "While you are travelling to faraway
places you knowledge continues to decrease". The English version is not an
exact match but I hope it is acceptable.

[B] {yajchu'wI'}: I would have liked to use your own (I mean DloraH's) word
{valchu'wI'} (ghIlghameS, p.12) but it was too much like {valwI'} "one who
is clever" and I needed this particular form to translate "the clever ones",
who are mentioned in the text a few times, and who are definitely not like
the sage. Besides, the taoist "sage" (chinese: sheng ren ) is not someone
who is clever or learned but one who has profound understanding of how the
universe works. {yajchu'wI'}, "one who understands perfectly" seemed the
right choice.