tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 08 12:07:18 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: QIH (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, October 5, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:      QIH
>Part of Speech:    verb
>Definition:        wrong, treat unjustly
>
>Additional Notes:  KGT.

As used in canon:

   cheQIHchugh manoDbe''a'
   Wrong us, shall we not seek revenge? TKW

This appears to be an extension of the verb {QIH} "damage".

   moQDaq DuQwI'Hommey jej tu'lu'.  pay' HIvDI' lo'wI' pagh mupDI'
    QIHchu' bIH.
   A brutally spiked pommel fastens the hilt together to provide a damaging
    surprise attack or give a devastating backhand stroke. SP2

I.e. to damage someone morally, emotionally, legally, etc. in addition to
physically.  If so, the noun {QIH} "damage, destruction" - which has never
been used in canon BTW - *may* turn out to be similarly used for a "wrong"
or an "injustice".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons