tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 11:23:19 2002

Re: Translation required please

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 [email protected] wrote:
> > > For "Snapshot of My Desktop" I suggest {HaStawIj chovnatlh}.
> >
> > Perhaps not as clean, what about { HaStawIj 'aghbogh De' }  Or if it's
> > a link, perhaps { HaStawIj yI'agh } ?
>
> I think 'agh may not be the right verb.
>
> 'agh - show, demonstrate, display
> 'ang - reveal, show
> cha' - display, show (picture)
> Hotlh - project, put on (screen)
>
> 'agh sounds like a martial arts dude demonstrating a kata.
> If the screen DID something (a screen saver), 'agh would work; but not for a
> static display.

Hmm, but then, what's a "screenshot" but a demonstration of what his
screen looks like?  I might be inclined to go with { 'ang } or { cha' }
over { 'agh } but then it would seem like there might be a subtle
connotation that you would be revealing his *actual* display, which isn't
accurate.

What would be a good way of implying "example"?  I know { chovnatlh } has
taken off in popularity...  Maybe { HaStawIj chovnatlh Dalegh DaneH'a' } ?

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
              "I love it when a plan comes together."

Back to archive top level